We pretty much guarantee you'll have fun at the Kentucky Derby no matter what you do, but here are a few tips to make your weekend the best it can be:
- It's well known that fashion is almost as important as the horses at the Kentucky Derby. A Show-stopping hat is one of the most important elements of your Derby-day ensemble. The more extravagant the better!
- If you want to up the excitement of the day, place a small wager on your favorite horse. Wagering windows will open 30 minutes before the first race, at approximately 10:00 a.m.
- The Derby would just not be complete with a Mint Julep. It's the traditional beverage of the Kentucky Derby, and over 120,000 of them are served each year. The key ingredient to a delicious Julep is, of course, the finest Kentucky Bourbon.
- Get up close and personal with the track, and head Infield to see what it feels like.
- Visit the horses themselves in the Paddock. They'll be there approximately 20 minutes before each race.
- It's in your best interest to learn the lyrics of "My Old Kentucky Home" before Derby Day, so you can sing along as the Derby gets underway. As you sing, watch for the horses to step on the track for the Kentucky Derby Post Parade, and feel the excitement swell.
Most importantly, start your day off with a gourmet breakfast, featured at our amazing Kentucky Bed and Breakfasts
. It's a long week, and you'll need to keep your energy up. Afterwards, return to your comfortable home away from home, and recharge for another day of excitement. There's only one Kentucky Derby; start making your plans to attend today!