859-873-7400
Image may be subject to copyright


Bed and Breakfast Association of Kentucky

Image may be subject to copyright
CASTLE STYLE BUILDING
Image may be subject to copyright
CHAIRS
Image may be subject to copyright
TOP OF A BUILDING AREAL
Image may be subject to copyright
LARGE INTERIOR OF A MAIN ROOM IN HOME
Image may be subject to copyright
CASTLE STYLE EXTERIOR
The Ruin Bed & Breakfast
Visit Website • 859-873-7400. • bnb@equinemanagement.com

HISTORY 1800s Bourbon Distillery The Glenn Spring Distillery company was located on Glenns Creek. It was just downstream from the McCracken Mill, which was purchased by Edmund H. Taylor, Jr. and Lewis Castleman who converted it into a distillery around 1868. Both Sweet-mash and Sour-mash whiskey were produced and the brands were named Belle of Anderson and Arlington. With a mashing capacity of about 180 bushels per day, this distillery had one bonded warehouse with an 8,000 barrel capacity. A short time later, Mr. Castleman sold out to Mr. Taylor who in turn sold his interest. It is thought that the distillery employed James Crow before he left for the Oscar Pepper Distillery (which became Labrot & Graham, now Woodford Reserve). In the late 1890s, the distillery was owned by C. Stege and had warehouse capacity for 6,000 barrels. At that time, its brand was Glenn Spring. At some point prior to 1903, the distillery was sold to the Trust at which point it was closed and dismantled. There are no mentions in the Kentucky tax records after 1900. E.H. Taylor, Jr. is known as the father of the modern Bourbon industry and built his showplace Old Taylor Distillery in a castle like design of handcut white limestone, also located along Glenns Creek, in 1887. Renovation Ron and Elise purchased the property in 2010, which is where the remains of an old distillery were located. With the help of several very skilled contractors and laborers over a hard work-filled three years, the current structure was completed. The Ruin Bed and Breakfast was opened in 2014. Since the structure had been derelict for several years, the stone walls had to be repointed and the interior totally gutted. The interior was built re-purposing a lot of the old lumber in addition to wood and materials from other reclamation projects. Some of the material used includes old fence boards, old tobacco barn siding, beams from a railroad warehouse as well as the flooring from an old tobacco warehouse in Louisville. Hand-hewn logs and flooring from a 1780s cabin on Pisgah Pike make up one of the most stunning interior features. Phil Gerrow of Midway Preservation was the main craftsman behind this project along with Wilmes Architects who designed the rooms and guest house. Quiet and secluded, the property is located across the road from Ashford Stud, three miles from Woodford Reserve and four miles from downtown Versailles, Kentucky. The famed Glenns Creek runs along the front of the eight acre property, which features a creekside walking trail, a tree-covered, abandoned railroad bed walking trail, and a wildflower meadow. Historical information on the distilleries was based on the book Bourbon in Kentucky by Chester Zoeller.
Amenities

Coffee
Lounge
Non-smoking rooms
Turndown service
Wakeup service
Air Conditioned
Hairdryer in Room
Kitchenette
Private Bath
Bicycle rentals
Breakfast
High speed internet access
Free Parking

Perfect Location, Perfect Hosts, Outstanding Comfort

placeholder
What a joy to have found this fabulous Bed & Breakfast in the heart of Blue Grass Country. Ron & Elise are the perfect hosts. We were on our way to Claiborne Farm for an early morning tour and afternoon audience with American Pharoah at Ashford Stud. It was 36 degrees outside and we did not come prepared. Our hosts sent us off with coats and gloves that saved us. Beautiful location, wonderful breakfast. Don't hesitate for one minute to book your stay!

-Hrichardm

CALL FOR ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS
888-281-8188